Friday, May 18, 2007

Taking the plunge...

We are moving to Waco. There it is. I said it. I am pretty terrible with change. I pretty much hate it. I think part of the reason I married Chris is because he loves change and forces me to "go out on a limb" with him. Naturally, I am excited about certain things. A new, nicer place to live. A wider selection of restaurants to eat at, more stores to shop at and new people to meet. But there are certain fears that also go along with all of this. The number one fear on my mind is finding a well paying job. I also worry about meeting friends, getting lost in Waco, finding a church and once again getting settled in a life that I will soon have to move on from. You see, when you are married to a visionary and a adventurer you are destined to never be in one place for long. A good and hard thing all at the same time. The good thing is that I will never be bored or feel confined to the ordinary. Which is also a fear of mine by the way. The hard things are that I am a nester. I get attached to schedules, people and places quickly. So, in less than two months I will be "taking the plunge" and moving on. Leaving all that I know and facing the unknown. My house that I literally put my own blood, sweat and tears into. Nexus, where Chris became a pastor, HPU, my home away from home and Brownwood. The town Chris and I feel in love in, got married and lived our first year of marriage in. Saying goodbye will be hard. This is where my visionary and adventurer will come in handy, as he is also my rock.

4 comments:

The Norvells said...

ROBIN RICHARDSON!!! I am so glad you have a blog! This is so awesome. Dave and I have so much family out of town that we use it to keep in touch with everyone. We literally have family on both coasts and everywhere inbetween. I'll add you to my list! Can't wait to read more of your life happenings!!

Lydia said...

Hey, I'm Karen's sis-in-law, here from her blog. I lived in Waco 5 years, and work there now, so if you have any questions, let me know!

If you're Baptist, visit Highland and First Waco--two different styles, but both good churches.

I'm horrible at directions, but there are a couple key roads in Waco that will get you pretty much anywhere: Waco Drive and Valley Mills.

As for friends, that will come with a church. Getting plugged in quickly really helps you to adjust. It was a huge change when we moved away, but our new church made the transition smooth. We won't be here much longer, either, and--like you--I hate change, but you have to enjoy where you are while you're there, and worry about the rest of it when it comes.

Good luck!

KarenD said...

Um, hi Robin... I am Lydia's sister-in-law, found your blog through Karen N's blog, and I live in Waco! So, yeah, I realize that's a pretty far-fetched connection, but I would be more than happy to help you get acquainted with Waco.

Lydia mentioned Highland Baptist, and that is where my husband John and I attend. We also lead a small group Bible study for young marrieds that meets in homes. You would be most welcome to visit if you'd like, but no pressure!

Here is my email address if you'd like to correspond with any specific questions. I can help you find job listings, house listings, churches, whatever, just let me know! krdickinson@grandecom.net

T said...

Not to bombard you or anything, but I found your blog through thenorvells too. I too have lived in Waco and really liked it there and wouldn't mind moving back. It won't take you too long to find the major places like Central Texas Marketplace (shopping). Watch out for the streets in downtown that suddenly turn one-way. Its a good sized town and I think you will like it. If your occupation is teaching, I can give you the scoop!