Saturday, November 22, 2008

Culture Shock

Yeah, culture shock. I think that's my deal. I thought about it on the way to work this week. But, let me just tell you what happened that got me thinking about my culture shock.

It was Thursday morning about 7 am, I planned on going to Starbucks for a treat that morning, because, well I deserved it. I watched the news the night before and knew that there was a chance of snow, ice and rain. Well we had snow last Friday and I worked though all that fine. I thought the ice would be no problem. But, I was wrong. I walked out the door and immediately noticed there was ice on the 2 flights of stairs leading me down from my apartment. So, I say to myself, ok easy does it. You don't want to fall. And that's exactly what happened. A big fall down about 6 or 7 stairs. Heels, white coat and all. I just sat there and cried. But not for too long, because I still had to go to work and make it to the Bucks. That's when I saw my car covered in ice. That was a chore in and of itself. After crying and chisleing my car out of the ice, I had no time to go get coffee. So, I cried. And I cried some more. Yup, culture shock.

I guess it didn't occur to me before. I mean, I grew up in a big city, I've driven in traffic before. I've lived away from my family since I graduated college and I've had jobs that I haven't loved. It just hasn't been so extreme as it is now. Traffic every morning and evening. Sometimes it takes me an hour and a half to work or home when it should take me 30 minutes. The snow and ice is all very new to me. Thinking about snowboots from the house to the car from the car to my job is a super new concept to me. And living so far from our friends and family is also a new feeling. No quick weekend trips anymore.

So, I have self diagnosed myslef with culture shock. And it feels good to know that there's nothing really wrong with me. I really am just adjusting to everything new all at once.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Robin, sorry I haven't commented earlier. Know that I have been thinking about and praying for you constantly. Now, this may be shallow, but I have withheld from commenting so far because I wanted to be able to share the perfect thing with you to lift your spirits and hadn't figured out what that was yet. Anyway, I've realized that I have no idea what the perfect thing would be to tell you because I have no idea what you need to hear right now having never been in your position.

So, shortly after I gave up my pursuit, God brought something to me that has been a great encouragement in my life over the past several months because I have had to deal with alot of loneliness. It's a song we sang in church yesterday and you may have heard it before, but I hope it is as encouraging to you as it has been to me. The song is "You Never Let Go" by Matt Redman. You can look up all the lyrics, but here are some that stay in my head:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, Your perfect love is casting out fear. And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life, I won't turn back, I know You are near.

Oh no, You never let go, Through the calm and through the storm. Oh no, You never let go, In every high and every low. Oh no, You never let go, Lord You never let go of me.


I'm praying for you and Chris all the time. The Lord has called you to do a great thing and because it will be great, it won't always be easy. Just a little more than six months and Tanner, Jess, and I will be joining you! Keep your head up! I love you!

The Norvells said...

I'm crying for you! I bet it hurt to fall down the stairs as much as it hurt to get your white coat dirty :<). Snow boots can be cute though. My sister had a pair when she lived in Boston with no car and had to walk everywhere. They were sky blue....looked a little like Ug books with nice soles. Instead of a Bucks treat...get some snow boots!