Tuesday, August 12, 2008

From the beginning

A sweet friend told me the other day on facebook that she was catching up on my blogs and wanted some more details on our big move to Denver. Which got me to thinking.... I bet a lot of people don't really know why or how we decided to do this thing. So, this is it. From the beginning.

From the time I met Chris I knew he wanted to be a pastor. I also knew that his dream was to start a church. Which he was and did. He was the co-pastor at Nexus Community Church in Brownwood, Texas. But, throughout that time, I knew he wanted to move out of the hated Bible Belt and spread the love. I just never knew the when and where.

So, last year I was a college admissions counselor at the alma mater, and was recruiting in Austin. A co-worker and I decided to hit the outlet malls in Roundrock for a brief break from the madness. I remember this like it was yesterday. It was fallish and getting cold. We were in Banana Republic and Chris called me. He said and I quote, "I think we should move to Denver, Colorado and start a church. And I think we should go after I graduate from Truett Seminary." And I said " Ok".

We started to tell friends who might be interested in this kinda of crazy adventure and got people to think about starting a church. A church that would have services at night, not in the morning. A church that would reach out to the "least of these". The poor, the needy, the left behind and neglected. A church, that would appeal to this generation with small groups that are relevant and organic. A church that would feel like going home.

So, we took our experiences from Nexus and we moved to Waco and Chris went to school full time so he could finish his masters. (which he has!)

We are moving to Denver, October 3rd. In something like 50 days.

Chris and I are the first to go up there. Others that feel called to go in with us are moving next summer. The goal is to start meeting people and find Christians or non Christians who are interested in being apart of something bigger than them. And we will be praying for a building. We'll be praying for a lot of things actually.

I know this also sounds completely crazy. Moving to a state where we don't have any family, friends, maybe even jobs. But, as Chris says, that's how you know it's from God. Plus, I would never do anything crazy if it weren't for Chris. Probably why God put us together.

And that's it. The nitty gritty details. Stay tuned as the story will continue to unfold.

4 comments:

Kim Stroh said...

So excited and proud of you both...can't wait to see how the Lord uses you!

The Norvells said...

I am glad you shared that. I had been wondering what caused the turn of events. You're an A+ wife, Robin Richardson! I can certainly learn from your example of submission and support.

Ashley said...

Thanks for the details! I am extremely excited for this new adventure and can't help but feeling a confirmation that this is God's plan for you. WOW!

LandA said...

This made me want to cry. I just think it's so beautiful that you guys are willing to go with what God is telling you to do even though you don't know all the details. Can't wait to hear more about what He does through you over the next year.