Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Holding on for dear life

"Whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."
Jesus Christ

I have been thinking a lot about what this means lately. About a year in a half ago, my husband and I were a part of a church restart in Brownwood. Chris and I along with a couple of friends completely overhauled the church building. We primed and painted every wall inside and out of that building. There was also the pulling up of the carpet, scraping the glue off the floor from the carpet and then staining the floor. Back breaking work to say the least. In the beginning, I was all for starting the church, but so much the manual labor thing. You'd think that starting a church would be happiest time of your life. Not for me. I was miserable. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was holding on for dear life. What was that life exactly? Certainly not one where I was joyful about helping people or bringing people to the Lord. Not a life where my husband needed for his wife to encourage him and share with him. Not a life that glorified God at all. So, after a lot of tears and a lot of asking forgiveness from God I let go. I let go of "my life".
I'm currently in the middle of reading "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Phillip Yancey and found Jesus's command again. Is God trying to remind me of something? I think so.

1 comment:

Misty said...

Words I really needed to hear friend. Thanks for sharing.